Monday, October 23, 2017

Magic - 3



When I was younger, still in secondary school, I had read a story about some young child that needed do a life-saving procedure, and was desperately requesting for well-meaning Nigerians to donate any amount they could in order to help her.

I understood that the way this worked was that; by appealing to a large audience, the few people who responded with small donations together could sum up to make a difference.

It wasn't the first time I had seen this kind of thing before, and it wouldnt be the last. But this time I was prepared. I had saved some money, and was willing to help. It wasnt easy to give up my money, but I decided that this person needed it more than I did. I could be a hero!! I took the details of the Wema account number down and found my way across the town to send my little hero fare across. 

Unfortunately, I discovered that the only Wema Bank branch I could find in Owerri was closed down. Somewhere deep down, I actually felt a little relieved that I could keep my money - and I felt a clawing guilt for days that a part of me could be like that.

Fast forward to 2017, looking at the world we live in, many needs of the inpoverished and exploited in the society have come to light. Sexual violence, child abuse, and more. Several foundations are being set up - some more honest than others, and politicians are STILL stealing money. Nothing much seems to have changed besides a little more awareness. 

I have seen many foundations and programmes crumble under the weight of good ambitions with too little financial fuel to make a difference. Orphanages are in stagnation. Child rape seems to be on the rise. And help always looks like it is too far away. And I can't figure out why... Maybe we don't know there are problems to fix. Maybe we don't believe the world has a chance any more. Maybe we don't care. Maybe..now, heroes are in short supply.

And that's a very sad thing to realize. I want to encourage everyone out there to do something. Even if it's just twice a year. Make an effort to be someone's hero. Visit an orphanage. A prison. A foundation. Help a programme. Even if it's not mine.

Be a hero.
We need more of them now, more than ever.


Let's Be Legendary,
Love, Stars and Jamike


---------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
1. Magic - 1
2. Magic - 2
3. The Maggot and The Butterfly

No comments: