Saturday, April 18, 2015

'High' Society





The other day I was going up to my room in the morning and I passed by two 100 level boys who were discussing how to increase the amount of business they could give and get for cocaine. "If you want to sell Crack you have to ask him to extend the period....." and blah blah blah. I didn't hear the rest. Didn't want to because;
1. I was on a schedule and had things I wanted to do.
2. It actually really did NOT concern me.
3. Hearing this kind of stufff is the kind if thing that gets you involved in annoying unfair situations.

There's a guy I know in 200 level. Don't know his department or his name - if I did I still wouldn't tell you :P . He used to be healthy and full of life - to an extent at least, when he had started out in 100 level. As of recent since he entered 200 level he has gone ragged.


His walking.

His clothes.

His hair.

His general outlook basically has degraded to a quality which is downright deplorable. I'm not much of a talkative person. Maybe I should have tried to talk to him at some point in time, whether it might have actually made any difference isn't the point - but rather that there was a lack if effort on my part, even if it did not cause change,  it could have helped to be a catalyst.

Anyway - the point at which my suspicions of the reason why the guys' character had changed so drastically was confirmed in part when one late morning I was leaving the hostel to go do something or the other and lo and behold .....our guy was pants down, at the side of the street enjoining two hostels, and urinating in the gutter. Let tell you why I was shocked.

It's quite normal, in this country, for a guy to urinate outside when faced with no alternative if he is faced with an unknown area or an extreme urgency. However the usual practice is to find a corner in the street or a building, or a hidden area around the bush and then relieve yourself accordingly. But this guy left all the hidden places and corners and areas which exist in ABUAD and into full public view to "make rain". Not only was he urinating on public, he faced the crowd and greeted people that were passing along on the way. Waving at them while the other hand was flinging his genitals around.

I begged my eyes to look away and they happily obliged. I must say again, they HAPPILY obliged. Such sights sef...




In another case I was leaving the college on night and on going down the staircase I met four students. Three guys and one girl. Now there's usually nothing quite interesting or unique about such a collection of individuals such as this except in this case one of the guys was slumped on the floor, hands backward in a mutation of the 'anatomical position', face on the floor with one cheek against it while his eyes were shut and then his rear high up in the air - as if giving a salute.

It was the first time I had ever seen a person so inebriated. Of course I had no idea whether it was due to drugs or due to alcohol. I didn't want to know either. Being a medical student however, I'm sure it would have been bad to start ignoring plights in thus early stage.

It might seem cold of me to say I didn't want to know what was happening, but due to recent events which had happened in the school when people had involved themselves in an issue which didn't really involve them, in the opinion of the school management anyway, I and many others learnt to distance ourselves from any incidents which would involve us not 'minding our business'.

The two other guys were trying to lift him up and carry him to their hostel, I offered advice to the two of them to take him to the clinic to seek treatment for whatever bothered him, all the while keeping a sufficient enough distance to make sure they wouldn't ask me for help in carrying him. They refused the offer and told me they just need to return him to their hostel and he'd be okay - which then confirmed my suspicions of what 'ailed' him. I then contemplated on going to either a security guard or one of the clinic nurses to report the situation to prevent any damage from coming to the slumped third fellow. The girl had left by then of course. Soon after, however, I spotted a security guard making his way over and saw my chance to leave, I stepped over the guy who might have probably been 'in love with the coco' and made my way out - without incident.

Well.....no inspirational talk on here for now. Maybe in a part 2. I think the article is long enough, yeah?

Please comment below.

(Don't forget to check out Dami Adewolu's article on the same topic "The Fault in Your Stars"

Thanks for coming here :)
Love, Stars and Jam 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting enough

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

LOL. THx, but you sound as if you wanted a little more in the article. Anything in particular?....