Monday, March 18, 2019

A LETTER TO MY BEST FRIEND

[7 min read]

I remember the first day I saw you, I mean actually saw you. We had always been in the same class, but for some unknown reasons, I just never saw you.

It was visiting day, and my parents couldn't make it, because they had to travel with my sick brother for treatment, so I was really unhappy. I didn't have so many friends and my only close friend, Jane, had disappeared without a trace. I was seated at my desk, flipping through my books, looking at my test scores and trying not to feel bad for myself, when I felt a light tap on my shoulder.



I looked up and saw you smiling at me. It had to be the most beautiful and sincere smile ever and it made me smile in spite of myself.

'Hey Joy, would you like to join me? My mum brought too much food and I decided to call some of my friends too.' I was stunned.

‘Me?’ I stammered.

‘Yes now’

I got up and followed you, and that was how our friendship began. We sat together in every class and chattered non stop.

Every visiting day I would always find my way to your car, because your mum always brought an extra bag of goodies for me, regardless of if my parents came or not. And when in SS2 after you became the the head boy, you held my hand, looked into my eyes and asked to be my boy friend.

I was so happy.

The whole class already thought we were dating anyways, but we would always be more like best friends. We taught we would last forever, but, like every other secondary school love story, ours ended on graduation day.

It's been years since then, and we drifted apart, I guess it's because we aren't kids anymore. You're getting married today and it brings back alot of fond memories. I remember that you showed me the true meaning of friendship. It was pure, almost perfect, and wanted nothing in return. I remember how you taught I was beautiful with my unkempt corn rows, bushy brows and not a single drop off makeup; how you’d leave letters in my notes just to remind me that someone cared; how you would treat me to mineral and gala at the school shop, mehn that was a luxury back then; how we'd stay awake till 12am so we could use our measly 100 naira mtn recharge cards for night calls.

I remember when we met again at a friend's graduation and I how happy I was, when a year later, you bent the knee and asked me to be your wife. That must have been the happiest day of my life.

Today, as I get ready to walk down the aisle and become your wife, I am so confident that I'm  marrying my best friend.

-------------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
1. Alone

3 comments:

Uche Vera said...

Awwwww😍😍😍...
This is so beautiful 😍
Guess there's still hope in the friend zone after all 😅
Catchy title btw 👌🏾

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

Oh my.
This indeed is beautiful
💖💖

MideAmuda said...

Awww... This melted my heart