Friday, March 6, 2020

Talk Talk!


[7 min read]



In this time and age where the spread of information can almost be compared to the speed of light, it is of utmost importance that the contents of our message be tested and true. Words, spoken or put up on media platforms, are like eggs; once said, they cannot be taken back. When you understand the importance of your words and how it can make or mar a person, an idea or a product, then I guess you understand how well to use them.


When I was younger, I used to talk quite a lot. I would entertain my parent’s visitors while they were away with stories and made up facts. I talked so much that I started talking about things I should not. Well, don’t blame me I didn’t know what was not to be spoken of in public. In a way, my love for saying what was on my mind stuck with me till university days. The difference, however, is that I have learnt to talk properly. Learnt when to say things, how to say them and whom I say somethings to.

I was an ardent believer in the fact that communication makes a lot of difference in a relationship, but now I believe that proper communication makes the difference. This is because I have come to notice that most people just love hearing the sound of their own voices, either verbally or on social media platforms. We have also developed the need to always be right.

Gosh! It can be quite annoying.


Sometimes, its best you actually keep quiet and listen. I am sure that I am not speaking alone, but there are occasions where two people would be ‘arguing’ about the same things. Arguing is in quotes, because often times, they are saying the same things, but pride (or the desire to be like Obama) clouds their hearing and or reasoning faculties.

Speaking of reasoning, phew! Talking to and or arguing with people who will not reason is the fastest conversation killer for me. Just be talking in the nonsense…

When I was a child, I thought and talked like a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things (forgive my rephrasing). You are grown now, stop talking like a child. Most importantly, except it concerns you or your family, keep away from things. You talk about Bose, Chisom, Ahmed, only you. Priding in the skill of having everyone’s gist used to be a thing when I was younger, but aren’t you grown? Stop talking! (except you are going to cash out on it, like Linda Ikeji)


See gist, they seem harmless and they are mostly rumors, and rumors are circulating stories or report of an uncertain or doubtful truths.  So, when you meet someone to tell them about a rumor you heard, you are exhibiting childish characters, and you the listener and the next in line in the spreading, keep off from such news. If you must gist about someone, gist about that person with the person otherwise the simpler term for your act is gossiping, you are a gossip, not a gister.



Let your words be seasoned, let whatever words that come out of your mouth be kind words, words of encouragement, words like ‘don’t come and gossip around me’ should be readily available when that nosy busybody comes with her gist.
Listen before you talk, listen to what you want to say before you say it. Learn to agree to disagree and when you are wrong, learn to own up to the errors.

Practice words:
  • This information is not useful to me
  • I agree to disagree
  • I am sorry… I agree that I am wrong… I realize that I was wrong

Finally, have depth. Have things that are substantial that you are engaged with. Read up on things and be well informed, not everytime ‘mad oh’, be the type of person that people can confide in.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Please leave your comments, let's gist πŸ˜ƒ


-------------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
2. Power!

4 comments:

KEKENYE UBULOM said...

This is true

Unknown said...

Couldn't have said it better πŸ‘ŠπŸ‘ŠπŸ‘Š

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

Louder sis, louder

Unknown said...

Loud itπŸ’₯