Saturday, September 5, 2015

The Odenigbo Experience: The Intellectual and Cultural Festival



Many people may have heard about the Odenigbo festival, many people may not. All in all, I just decided to use this medium to share a little light on my experience today on the “Intellectual and Cutural Festival” aspect which I attended.

So…..I was asked to go to this festival thing by my dear mother today. She said it was an Intellectual Cultural festival. It was meant to be part of a larger festival named the “Odenigbo” held in Owerri every year. I have a very limited amount of information on it at the moment however, so I will refrain on speaking on matters I do not know a lot about. In this day and age, the end result would be that I’d end up throwing controversy on myself if that were the case.


So I and two of my younger siblings; Chidiebere and Eziaha were driven down to the church premises around a few minutes to 8 o’clock in our modest grey transport, an old bus bought a few years ago by my father for transporting large quantities of every little thing we could think of – people included.

We stepped out of the bus once we reached the church onto the green carpeted terrace, out to an evening of light and sound filling the entire premises. We were wide eyed and took the entire scene in. The place was abuzz with activity; people moving in and out everywhere, meet and greets at every corner by people who hadn’t seen each other and their families for maybe years, small children running around playing and all sorts of other activity I’m really not sure how to categorize due to their ambiguity. That’s how busy the place was.

We had come late to the event and had to push and prod through rows of people to find a place in which we could comfortably stay to see whatever was left of the festivities. There was a beautiful traditional dance going on at that time though, with young boys and girls dressed in a blue patterned material and adorned with various decorative ornaments; legwear,neckwear, anklets, earrings and the like. They moved to the beat of the drums and flutes engaged by the other members of their group who were just a little distance away in a beautifully choreographed expression of the igbo identity – if I may describe it as that. It ended too soon, though understandably since we had come late – 3 hours late by what I heard from a few people I talked to at the event. The entire arena was illuminated by one of several different color shades every few minutes giving it a unique aesthetic feel and as usual in these kind of events my view was constantly blocked by several official and otherwise self-appointed cameramen and women lounging around. These days everybody with a smartphone is a photographer you see….



Next, and last – as I was to eventually find out, was a play which was basically extolling the virtues of Christianity by pitting a native/ritual doctor against a Catholic priest. A woman was being oppressed after the death of her husband, which she was accused of and implored the priest for his assistance. Just the typical Africa Magic melodrama, which ultimately was actually not too bad. The priest was dressed in white and purple, conspicuously holding a large yellow bible as well as a rosary. The ritual doctor was a woman dressed in red who had one eye encircled in white powder/makeup, and was holding up a wooden staff with a crooked end. The play proceeded as you guessed it would, ending with a confrontation between the Christian and traditional parties where the Catholic priest defeated the ritual doctor by bursting out in song and prayer causing the audience to erupt into a mighty cheer with applause at all ends.  Some women in the audience were dancing during the song as well. The ritual doctor keeled over, and the oppressor of the woman came out, writhing in agony and probably confessing all his misdeeds.

All in all, it was quite the enjoyable learning experience. I wish I could have been there much earlier, and as the entire event was completely in igbo, I also wished my command of the igbo language “asusu igbo” was much stronger so that I may have understood more than I was able to take in that day. As confident as I am in my command of the language to “communicate” with my fellow igbos, I know it is limited to my experience and needs. I’m still not sure what I’d do if I ever come across to what people come to what is referred to as “conc igbo” – thick, accented, local igbo that would scare anybody in my generation away. But that is one of the aims of the Odenigbo festival. To enable us, especially the youth to understand, accept and embrace our igbo identity and culture. The traditions and history that come with it.

In the paraphrased igbo words of the Archbishop Obinna; Maka I na-echeta omenalla ndi igbo eba any na I mata ebe any si. It’s paraphrased of course because my retention of igbo exactly as it’s said in that kind of condition is not much to boast of at the moment.


Thank you for coming here. Daalu.
Igbo, Omenaala and Kolanut

No comments: