Monday, September 5, 2016

The Gentle Soul



On Saturday, I lost my grandfather to the ravages and clutches of time.

He was a gentle breath of fresh air, in a foul world progressively riding towards an unrepentant decay. I will miss him. And as I look back, I cannot help but wonder and remember, the things I should have done with him....

The same questions I ask myself in this post, I'd like you to wonder for yourself. Wonder and act. Before it's too late.

*How many times did I talk to him? Real conversations.... not just "Hi and Hello".

*How many times did I ever buy him a gift? Or even simply THINK of it.

*How many times did I ask how he was doing? Happy? Eating well? Missing people?

*How many times did I ever pray with him?

*How many times did I stay with him? Or try visiting him all those times I would put on my status, "boring holz".

*How many times did I say, "I love you"? In a world where the phrase is said either too many times in the wrong context, or not enough at all.


Frankly? The answers to those questions are far too unsatisfying for my peace of mind. Did I make efforts while he was alive? Yes. Here and there. But I could have done more....

We all have loved ones that are still alive. Let's not at all waste the time we have with them now. Live life to the fullest with them. Be the light. Be the happy memory. Be a reason why loved ones smile. Be what they need, NOW that they need it.

Be the answer. Not the question.

Let's Be More.
Love, Stars, and Gentle Hearts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My condolences

Chidiebere Ekennia said...

Hmmm. Dat was actually good.

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...


@ChidiebereEkennia
I'm pretty sure you meant that to be a compliment but... 😑

Aizapot said...

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone. To pave paradise, they put up a parking lot..

May he rest in peace.

Aizapot said...

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone. To pave paradise, they put up a parking lot..

May he rest in peace.