Monday, April 10, 2017

Is it worth it? Being a “NICE GUY”…


(This post is from a few years back when I was struggling with a lot of uncertainties. It's still more or less a classic, so you can check it out...)

Is it really worth it?
Honestly? I can’t say for sure anymore.

Let me tell you what people think about 'Nice Guys'. Nice guys make sacrifices. Nice guys relinquish all pleasure and ignore their desires to please people. Nice guys don’t DO danger. Nice guys don’t go after girls/ladies – oh no, NEVER {rolls-eyes}. Nice guys are safe to be around. Nice guys never “go too far”. Nice guys get kicked around like tires and do nothing about it. Nice guys will open the door for you, give up their seat for you, buy you a free meal and never remind you of it, keep a polite distance away and NEVER come too close, say the nicest words and never have alternative thoughts, never take advantage of you or circumstances, are always in good cheer and seem never to get angry. All in all, basically – Nice guys are nice.

Wanna know the truth? Sometimes I HATE being that 'nice guy'. I hate not being able to have fun, because everyone thinks I don;t know how to have any, or that my idea of fun is reading a good textbook. Really though?

I hate not being able to “be a guy”. I hate not being able to frown at the world and simply not give a care. I hate not having to tell the truth, just to please people. I hate leaving opportunities wasted. I hate having to follow protocols. I hate being laughed at and not being able to take a swing at a person. I HATE being nice.

Know what the opposite of a “nice guy” is? A JERK. You know what’s really funny? Jerks seem to get it all. Jerks are “cool” like fans. Jerks get money because they steal. Jerks get all sorts of cool stuff because they have the money to get them, or they steal. Jerks get to go to all the parties in the world, because they don’t give a care about how they live their life, as long as they’re living it. Jerks get all the girls. Why? I won’t be going into that today. Jerks get to “get all up in yo grill” and do whatever they feel like. Jerks get to keep their seats. Jerks get to freeload off of anyone and practically everyone, especially the “nice guys”. Jerks are allowed to get angry and say anything they please. They damn the world, and get praised for it.

Ok….ok., hold on to your horses.. I don't want to be a jerk.

I don’t want to stroll into the depths of darkness, which I had escaped entering into years ago. I don’t want to abandon the life I’ve made. I don’t want to become a degenerate individual of society. I don’t want to be a “probable N.F.A.”. But I AM tired.


The myth description of the "Nice Guy"

I’m tired of being walked over. I’m tired of losing chances. I’m tired of caging everything. I’m tired of not getting what I want. I’m tired of penting up my anger and emotions. I’m tired of walking away from the things I could be fighting for. I’m tired of seeing people I care about walk and stray into the wrong hands, and not doing anything about it because I’m a “nice guy” and nice guys don’t intrude into private affairs, apparently even if it’s to save someone from the danger you can see just lurking around the corner. I’m tired of people looking for people searching for others to have fun with because nice guys aren’t "fun” to hang with, they’re just “safe”. I’m tired of watching silently as virtually everyone seems to get what they want, and I hang out in the corner, obey protocol and be the 'nice guy'.

But y’know what? I just read all the stuff I wrote up above and realized something. This isn’t something nice guys do. Nice guys don’t complain. Nice guys don’t give up. Nice guys take all the trash the world dumps on them, recycle it and turn it into something amazing. So I’m starting to wonder now. “AM I REALLY A NICE GUY?”  



I can’t know for sure. There are several things I DO know for sure. I don’t want to be a jerk. I don’t want to be the bad guy. I want to be someone my parents and family (present and future) can be proud of. I want to be someone that God Almighty can be proud of. I want to be the guy that you can trust – for anything. I want to be a person that doesn’t have to look fearfully behind his back expecting shadows and a knife. I might not BE a nice guy. But I’m trying to be (not the thing that most people think are 'nice guys'). And I think Imma stick to that. Because it’s worth it. Being the jerk with a swagilicious attitude might seem 'cool' for a while, but like the ceiling fans, they don’t get anywhere – they just move round and round. But tires? Tires will ALWAYS go places.

(To check out this fun video by Ryan Higa on Nice Guys ----> Click Here)

Love, Stars, and the Nicest Guys...
- TRJ

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It got me smiling towards the end, nice guys are more of the husband and parent materials though.

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

Lol.
So nice guys can't be boyfriends too?😏😏
Haha

Damilola Olukeye said...

I really like this piece. I think it's unfair too that it looks like being nice isn't worth it but at the end, everything works itself out. Sometimes, let loose. Sometimes nice people just show them they can have fun too and that they are capable of so many things but CHOOSE not to do them because things may be possible and permissible but not advisable. So I think nice guys should prove the stereotypes wrong. Nice guys aren't stupid. They do these things because they made the CY once to do so.

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

@Damilola, You actually said everything right. It's all about the choice.
FOr most "nice guys" it's not about being unable to do certain things.

It's about their choice NOT TO.

Anonymous said...

Perfect. Love what you did with the "tires and ceiling fans" thing. You're really gifted. Keep it up🖒