Friday, April 14, 2017

The Case - Chapter Seven



Chapter Seven:

"My baby!", Jake cried, as he knelt near the useless scrap of metal that used to be his car.

Chris looked around to see if any of the girls were hurt. Jasmine had a little bruise from
the fall, but Susan was already up on her feet.

"Yup, definitely a gymnast", Chris mused.

"Now where do we go from here?", Jake asked aloud.
"And we don't have a place to stay or any weapons"
"I managed to throw out Renee's bag of ammunition out while we were driving, before
those jackasses blew up my car"
"Jake, I never thought I'd say this but ... ", Chris said.
"But what?"
"...Nope ...still can't say it"

"Before you two boneheads keep flirting, think of where we're gonna sleep", Susan said.
"I'm calling Carlos", Jasmine said.
"Who the hell is that?"
"Our cousin, he's outta town but his house is in Washington"
"Good. so I'm assuming this angel has a car too"
"We're walking ladies"

"Oh common!" Jake screamed
"Oh and honey, you're carrying the bag", Susan said, smirking.

"If I do you guys won't slap me ever again"
"Deal"
"What!", Chris shouted.

******************************************
Carlos was okay with them staying over. Though, of course, they didn't tell him what was going on. He arranged for someone to hand them a spare key. They could not believe their luck.
"Told you Jesus is real", Jake whispered to Chris, while they got in. He dropped the bag and lay flat on the floor. Chris lunged at the sofa with the girls. Jasmine got up later to look for something to eat. So far she found two packets of noodles.

"You gotta be kidding me, I eat that when I need a snack", Jake said.
"Well you gotta share, ‘Pumba’", Chris said mimicking the warthog.
"No one asked you ‘Timon’"

Jasmine got to cooking while the rest got comfortable. When Jasmine returned they began to recall the events. Chris drew a chart and started writing notes on everything that happened since that fateful night.

"So far we got three suspects, Jones aka the DA, Connor and Raymond", Chris concluded.
"Explain"
"Well, the DA has always had a fore knowledge of every where we went; the restaurant,
my brother's house, the date with you guys, even the robbery on that stupid night"
"Don't forget he had us on surveillance"
"Raymond looks suspicious, and acts like it too. The night we were attacked while
preparing for our date ... remember that?"
"The one we slapped you for missing out? Yeah we remember", Susan smirked.

"Yes.... that still hurts. He seemed too anxious to know about what happened and he looked surprised to see us at all. We also suspect he may have heard us when we told the DA I was at my brother's house"

"That leaves Connor", Jasmine said.
"I just don't like the guy"
"Be serious"
"Okay he showed up at the crime scene that night outta nowhere, plus he disappeared immediately before those two fish brains that Renee shot attacked us. I believe he's up to something"

"We need a plan, we can't keep running"

They all brought up ideas, most were ridiculous. Then Jasmine and Chris cooked something up at a corner of the room. They looked like they were arguing, but neither Jake nor Susan wanted to interfere. Then they came back and told them the plan.

"I dated an ex-marine", Jasmine said.
"I don't like where's this is going", Jake gulped.

"His name is Steven. He got kicked out of the force for unruly behavior about a year ago, he was into so many things and I broke up with him cause he was impossible to deal with. He usually hung out with some friends that got kicked out too. They're here in Washington. I believe they'll be willing to help us"

"Here's the plan, three of you are gonna call any of the three suspects I give you and tell
them your location but you will have backup from the ex-moron", Chris said.

Jasmine elbowed him.

"I mean ex-marine... then you can look around to see if you get attacked. It'll work because all of them will be worried sick about us. Jasmine will take Connor, Jake will take the DA and Susan will take Raymond, I will be at a location equidistant from all of you with backup"

"But I don't want Raymond, his legs look like toothpicks", Susan whined.
"Yeah and with his white socks on, they look like some kinda giant cotton bud", Jake
protested.

Jasmine went and dished the little food left and put it on the desk with four forks.
Jake took a shotgun out of the bag and stood near the dining table.

"What are you doing?'
"We need to call the Calvary", Jake said like some hero.
"Oh no, he's doing the 'Dwayne Johnson' again. Ever since he watched fast seven he's
been like this", Chris said.

"Girl, I am the Calvary", Jake said, while cocking the shotgun.
A bullet was fired. They all watched as the little plate of food was destroyed by the powerful bullet. Jasmine, Susan and Chris exchanged looks, then turned almost simultaneously to Jake. Jake dropped the gun and raised his hands in surrender.

"I can explain", Jake said, walking back as the other three started walking towards him.
"You know that deal we made about not slapping you again?", Chris asked, cracking his
knuckles.

"Forget that I'm gonna eat him!", Susan screamed.
"I call dibs on his ear", Jasmine said.
"Wait.... you guys ... ", Jake said.

They all attacked him.

******************************************

Chris went to a church with Jake, and walked to the altar. He prayed while Jake stood on the aisle. An old priest came out and walked towards Chris. The old man greeted him with a warm smile

"What troubles you my son?"
"I'm afraid I'm gonna be a murderer soon"
"Whatever it is your thinking, don't do it"
"I've never prayed to Him before; I hope He can stop me"
"He will son, He will..."

Chris bowed and went out.
Jake came to the priest who was still smiling.
"Do you think he'll do it?", Jake asked.
"He has a good heart, he won't"
"How do you know that?"
"Jesus knows everything", the man said smiling and walked back using his staff as
support.

******************************************

It was midnight. Showtime.

They all made calls while Chris stayed at his location. They each wore disguises, and Jake complained bitterly about his own.

"I look like I got hit in the face by a raggae artist", he whined.
Jasmine's ex-boyfriend Steven arrived with his guys, they were eight. They looked built and scary. Truly, the Calvary had arrived. Two went with each of them. Steven went with Jasmine and one of his friends. As usual the three suspects asked a lot of questions and got the location.

Now they had to wait. Nothing happened for about an hour. The police showed up at Jake's location, but he was hiding. Connor was also there too, perhaps he decided to go with the police. So he knew the DA was innocent. As expected, Susan sent a distress call to the others, she was under heavy fire. Chris rushed there with Jake and the guys. The Marines cleared out all the thugs faster than they had ever seen. Jake dropped his gun and just started applauding. They handled it and best of all, they had their criminal, Raymond. But no one had heard from Jasmine.

Chris called her line.

"Hello? ...Jasmine where are you?"
"She's a little preoccupied at the moment". It was Steve's voice.

"What do you mean you roadrunner", Chris shouted angrily.
"Well, lemme see, turns out, I'm a bad guy, and I work for the wasabi gang. You know all those whole months I've spent outside the force? I've been working with them - I get the job done I get paid. Man....I can't imagine the paycheck that will come outta this. Don't worry my friends don't know what I do - so you're safe, tell the others Bobby is dead. Too bad he had to find out this way"

"If you lay one finger on her I'll... "
"You'll do what? You have three days to come to the location I'll text to you, if you don't ...something is gonna happen"

"Why are you doing this?"
"Because it's fun... oh... and I'll give you a little clue on your villain. One day the fourth letter and the first letter decided to get married". The line went dead.

Chris screamed while telling the others. Even the guys were pissed, Steven killed their friend. Susan was crying.

"...The fourth letter is D", Jake said.
"...The first letter is A", Chris replied.
"Jones!!", they both screamed.






(Hey guys we thank the Lord Jesus for inspiration. Hope you like and please comment on what you think will happen next. Stay tuned for episode 8)
(The Case - By Edward Onuoha)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just have to clap for this story.
You really tried in writing it. it's very well put together, and the characters are funny and serious at all the right moments.

Will you be putting more stories on this blog?