Friday, September 15, 2017

The Unseen - #3



CHAPTER THREE

*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

That was the third time whoever was out there had knocked on my door.
We were playing a game of silence, both of us, waiting for the first person to make a move, separated by mere inches - the door, me and whoever was out there. Was it the killer?

Quiet. It was all quiet. I wouldn’t dare speak, I didn’t know what was waiting on the other side, time was moving so slowly in those moments.

“It’s the police, open up. We just have a few questions for you. This is the residence of Arnold Adegabaju, am I right?”. I wore a puzzled look on my face, as it dawned on me that the police were in fact outside my door. Why were the police knocking on my door for **** sake?

Or was it the killer trying to impersonate the police? Did he think the cheap trick would get me to open up? no, I was smarter than that. But wait, what if it really was the police, I’d never done anything to warrant the police on my doorstep, but them coming at this moment wouldn’t seem like a coincidence. It all seemed to add up - that the head of my girlfriend turned up in front of my door, and then the police a mere hours later.

Someone. Was. Setting. Me. Up. For. Murder.

Things just took a different turn in a matter of seconds. I stumbled to the door, and tried to peep through to see, but I couldn’t make out anything on the other side.

“I’m going to need to see identification to let you in, can you do that?” I said with my face pressed against the door, with my speech stuttered. I was scared. I was worried. I was confused. There were so many emotions running through, I couldn’t be sure what I was thinking, or what I was doing. “Sure we can do that, but we’re going to need you to open the door to do that, I mean, how else are you going to see it?”

It was a good point, but it also felt like a trap, like if I opened the door, I’d get ambushed, maybe shot on the leg so I couldn’t run. He said we, meaning there was more than one person out there.  So one person would shoot me, and the other guy would tie me up. Who knows what sorts of things they’d do to me.

But this was a very difficult position; If it was the police and I didn’t open the door, then it’d make me look guilty, and who knows how long they’d wait before they took matters into their own hands; But if it was the killer and his friends, then it would pretty much be the end of my life. I realized soon enough, that with either scenario, my life would never be the same again.

I took a gulp, as a tear fell across my face. I had to make a choice. I ran to the kitchen to grab a knife. I unlocked the door, turned the handle with my left hand, with my right hand behind my back holding a tight grip on the knife, I pulled the door open ever so slightly, so only half of my face could make its way out. I stretched my face extremely slowly to see what was out there.

I saw two badges pointing directly at the door. They were definitely police – I had had a lot of run ins with them in my former life to know what the badges looked like. I withdrew my face and let out a sigh. Tears rained down my face, and I locked the door back quickly. It was the police. It was better than seeing two masked men coming for an ambush, but it wasn’t good either. The longer I waited, the more suspicious I looked, especially after seeing their badges. My back was resting against the door now as I scanned the house. Shit.

It was a mess. The box with Amanda’s head was beside the table, and there was still that blood trail on the kitchen floor. This wasn’t looking good for me. “Sir, you’ve seen the badges, now will you let us in?” my next response was going to be crucial. “Yes, yes, I’ll let you in right away”. I tried to sound confident and unassuming, but I realized I only sounded like someone who had things to hide. Shit. I heard muffled noises outside the door, as if they were talking to themselves. What were they telling themselves, were they already assuming I was guilty? They never did say what it was they wanted to talk about though.

“What is it you want to talk about? I’d like to know before I open up”
“It’s about a disappearance, or really a missing persons case”, came the reply.

I was right, they were here because of Amanda. But something in their voices told me that they didn’t just want to ask me if I’d seen Amanda.

I ran to the box and pushed it under the table and as I ran towards the kitchen to try and mop the blood off, I tripped over my legs, landing awkwardly on the ground, and ended up cutting myself with the knife I was holding. I let out a screech of pain and I tried to gather myself back up to my feet, that’s when I heard the noise.

There was a thud on my door, and then there was another, and after a few more in quick succession, the locks gave way, and I saw two men standing in front of my door, looking straight at me - nothing separated us now. They looked like middle aged men, wearing oversized trench coats. They looked each other, in the eye, “what’s that smell” one of them said to the other, he looked like he would vomit. They immediately turned and looked at me after they realized what it was. There was no compassion in their eyes, only disgust - and they wore with no shame across their faces. That’s when it dawned on me.

Whatever questions they were thinking about had been answered by the smell of death in my apartment, and the bloody knife in my hand, coupled with the frantic look on my face. I wasn’t going to let them judge me like that, sentence me to the end of my life for something I had no part in. At this moment, I could no longer converse with any of them.

They looked at me, and told me to stay calm. One of them walked slowly towards me, his hands in the air to signify a sign of peace, but never taking his eyes of the bloody knife I was holding. They wouldn’t want to hear my side of the story anymore; they’d already judged the case in this moment. He wasn’t coming towards me in the name of peace, no, he was coming towards me with the intent of war.  He was advising me not to do anything rash. I realized he’d walked towards me and covered my view of the other officer, and so I stretched my head to see what he was up to.

His hands weren’t visible anymore; they were on his waist, sliding down towards his backside pocket. He was reaching for a gun. They were going to try to take me in, and if they couldn’t take me alive, they’d take me dead. None of that was going to happen.

I was standing, mere inches away from of the kitchen door, and it was now or never. I threw the knife straight at the officer, he dodged, and it went spiraling towards the other officer. He’d brought out his gun and shot at me, but my aim had been better than I’d wanted it to be, as the knife struck him on his shoulder - I think that’s why his shot missed, the bullet burrowed into the wall.

 I slammed the kitchen door shut, and locked myself in. My apartment was on the first floor of the building, and weighing my options, jumping down from the window or unlocking the kitchen door. The jump seemed fair enough compared to the other option.

I heard a thud at the door, they were just realizing it was locked and were trying to break in. The door wasn’t as strong as the main apartment door and I figured they were banging at the door with more force this time, so it wasn’t going to be too long before they broke it down. And coupled with the fact I’d just thrown a knife straight at one policeman’s face, and hit the other in the shoulder, I could confidently say I’d exhausted all the avenues for a conversation to talk things out. They would come at me guns blaring.

The Window.

I took a deep breath, and ran towards the window - planning to jump straight out, but when I looked at the ground, I thought twice about it. I slowly put one foot out, and then put another, that’s when the kitchen door broke down. I turned back to see them with theirs guns out. One officer told me not to jump, that I should reconsider what I was doing. It was too late for that now, I took a leap of faith and went crashing down to the pavement.

“Arrgh!!!!!!!” was the disgruntled sound I made as I landed on the ground. I landed feet first, but the force on impact had cause my legs to give in, and so I went down the ground, face first, before my whole body followed suite, crashing down, as I rolled uncontrollably on the ground. I didn’t have the time thought to wallow in my pain though, and I knew the officers would be out the main door soon.

And so I used the momentum from my fall, transcending into a roll, to pick myself up, and started running.



By Olamide Ojo (@itsowjay)
(Part 4 coming next week Friday)

No comments: