Friday, September 8, 2017

The Unseen - #2



CHAPTER TWO

A sweat broke on my forehead.
What did I just read? It didn’t make any sense.

I reread the letter several times, trying to make sense of it. No matter how many times I read it, it didn’t make any sense to me.

To hell with it. I reached for the handle of the cabinet, and that’s when I felt it - pure unnerving dread. I was stuck. I couldn’t bring myself to turn the handle, I didn’t think I was ready for what I’d find behind the door. I was panicking on the spot. The panic translated to hallucinations.

I looked around the kitchen floor, and saw red spirals floating upwards towards the sky around the blood. I looked at the letter I was holding, and saw it had a purple enclosing, the words on it shining bright, blinking in a deep purple hue, the edges lined in an opaque brown. The lines around the letter suddenly enveloped it, floating in and out simultaneously. I threw the letter away from me. What was happening to me? I started to panic. I closed my eyes, tried to control my breathing, and counted from one to ten. I opened my eyes, and immediately, my gaze fell straight to the handle.

My skin was crawling with fear. The handle was pitch black. The room was filled with lights from the fluorescent above, but the handle was still darker than the night. It had streaks of darkness flowing rapidly out of it, as a dark vista surrounded it.

I blinked, and just like that, it was gone. The whole thing startled me. I reached for the handle, turned it, and pulled open.

It was empty.

Thank God o. My mind was already racing. I was imagining all sorts of things, different images filled up my head as to what I might’ve found behind the handle. I was so glad it was a false alarm. I’d gotten worked up for absolutely no reason. But wait, what about the letter - and the blood most especially. Something must have curled up and died inside, maybe a rat. I had to be sure though, so I pulled out my phone, and put the flashlight on, and faced it into the cupboard. There was no dead rat inside, but there was a phone, Amanda’s phone. It didn’t make any sense that her phone would be here. As I was contemplating what to do with the phone, a message came in, and on the notification screen, the name read ‘The Unseen’. I was starting to get irritated. I didn’t know her password, but I did have my fingerprint unlock saved. It was her way of saying she had nothing to hide, that her phone was as good as being mine. It was time to find out if she’d figured out it was a mistake. I put my right thumb over the home button, and I watched it unlock. I navigated to the message screen.

Below the sink really didn’t feel like the best place for it. So I changed my mind last minute, but I’d already made arrangements, so I had to improvise. Pardon me for the mistake, it’s just that I’m so excited to be finally doing this! This is my first time. Your package is under the centre table. I’m big on presentations, so I took my time on this. I hope you like it; The Unseen.

This was beginning to feel like a sick joke. What in God’s name was Amanda up to? I tucked her phone into my right backside pocket, went straight to the center table, and pushed it aside. There was a box there, perfectly wrapped, and packaged, like a professional delivery. A medium sized box, about the size of an Indomie carton, covered in light blue foil, laid on the floor. It had a red bow, on top. I lifted the lid off the box.

I threw up.

I was seeing things. I had to be seeing things. What the fuck! This couldn’t be real. But the smell told me otherwise. It was a head. There was a fucking head in the box. Amanda’s head in the box. I threw up a second time, and then a third. Sh*t!

I put the lid back. I was disoriented, and scared, my vision was getting blurred, and tears rained down my eyes. Amanda’s head was in a box beside me. Amanda was dead. It was happening all too fast for me to comprehend. This was my fault. The smell had escaped the box, and stayed out. The whole house smelled of death. The smell, the scene, the thoughts running through my head, everything was too much to comprehend. I passed out.

That brings me back to right now, seated on the same spot for over 6 hours, my mind racing, thinking about what I’d just seen, but at the same time unable to think about anything.

Who would be so cruel to do this to Amanda, who would want her dead, and not just kill her, but cut her head off, and put it in a box, and then bring that box to me.it made my stomach curl inside. But what was worse was that this person didn’t just kill Amanda for the sake of it, or randomly. No. This person didn’t kill Amanda because of Amanda. This person had killed her because of me. If someone killed her because of me, then I killed Amanda. I had done this to her. And I realized this meant I could be next. As the thoughts kept racing down my mind, the tears just kept flowing. Who did I offend ooo? I started to cry for my mummy. If I’d just stayed at home, will all this nonsense be happening? My dad would have been controlling my life right, and I’d be working under his supervision in a house he paid for, driving a car he owned. It all seemed a lot worse before tonight. I could barely move a muscle, barely blink.

*knock* *knock* *knock*

My muscles jolted back to life. The whole world went still, quiet.
*knock* *knock* *knock*


Someone was at the door. Oh shit. Someone was at my door.




By Olamide Ojo (@itsowjay)
(Part 3 coming next week Friday)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Intriguing, can't wait for the next chapter.