Monday, September 4, 2017

Keeping Up



Life is moving pretty fast, and the rate of change is definitely faster than it was a few years back. 

Especially now - when we have social media and a per second view of peoples' lives. Back in the day, before you knew if a cousin or a village fellow had graduated, or is doing well in the city, it had to be in December - when everyone cleaned up their acts and came home. But today, as it happens, the entire world now gets to know. And there is usually a lot of pressure on all of us to keep up.

I remember an incident that happened to me about a year ago. I thought I had missed my way, I was not sure if I had, but I was on the fast lane, and as a result I couldn’t just stop and ask anyone questions. I really wanted to slow down and ask questions, but I felt like the rest of the drivers on the road expected me to keep up with the pace (this was the Lagos-Ibadan express way by the way).

I was on that lane for a while, I was keeping up with the other cars on the road that knew where exactly they were going, and what direction it was. I realized that if I didn’t do the needful, I would keep going farther in the direction I wasn’t sure of, which could be the right way or the wrong way, wasting time and fuel. I began to slow down, moving to the lane that was necessary for the task I had ahead of me - which was charting a new course based on the new information I would receive from asking questions.

It so happened that as I began to slow down, people began to give me space and let me move to whatever lane I wanted, though some didn’t want to budge at all. Some drivers who cared, tried to slow down and see what the issue was before continuing with their fast driving.

Finally I made enquiries, and ended up not getting Ogun state before I turned back to Ibadan.
I learned a couple of things from that incident.

1. You’re not in a competition with anyone: 
You don’t need to keep up with people, trying to look cool, feeling among, and all that while your life is headed in a direction you don’t need it to. 
'Everyone is getting in a relationship' ...and so? '
Everyone is getting a blog'  ...and so? '
Everyone is doing beard gang' ...and so? 
'Everyone is driving now' ...and so? 

You don’t need to match up with people, you don’t have to move at everyone’s pace  - remember that slow and steady wins the race.

2. People will give you the space you need to get your life in order: 
You will need to slow down sometimes and really check things out.. You can actually ask to be exempted from certain trips, meetings, hangouts functions-  just to catch your breath and be sure of what you want to do. Everyone is learning make up and you feel you’re supposed to, no you don’t, be sure that’s what you want for you.


3. There's nothing like knowing that the route you’re on is the correct route for you: 
Having a sense of direction eliminates a lot of unwanted distractions on the road and even if everyone else is slowing down, you'll know where you’re headed, and can keep moving. Direction give you confidence and an edge in whatever you’re doing…


4. Not everyone will celebrate your desire to slow down: 
Some friends and family people might make jest of you, some might even say you’re killing the vibe, messing with the groove by slowing down, but what you want - you must get. Be resolute and gain insight on where you want to go.

Some people are studying courses because the brilliant guys in their class went for those courses, its not too late to make get yourself in check.


By Ebi Ashidi

---------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
1. The New Normal
2. BREAK
3. Victim

2 comments:

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

Ebi 🙌.
I can't say enough how Awesome your articles are.

Keep it up 👏👏👏🔥🔥

Peace Olorunfemi said...

This is amazing!!!