Friday, May 31, 2019

THE NIGHT GRANDMA DIED

[3 min read]



Mother became an orphan that night.
The night was warm, and I was in my room relaxing from the day's work when I heard shouting from the room grandma stayed in. I sprinted to her room, trying as hard as I could to imagine positive things, pushing the negatives out of my mind...
...we need to get her to the hospital
     ...tires screeching  
          ...I'm sorry but I can't feel a pulse
                ...she can't be dead
                          ...


I couldn't help but bring to remembrance the words mother said. "E fi ara yi grandma." that is: "Spend quality time with grandma."
I thought of, or tried to think of, the many things I wanted to do with her... or could have done with her.

Then, I tried not to think, but the thoughts came anyways. I remembered how she said she wanted to have a talk with me, and I was sure she wanted to talk about marriage, amongst other things so I avoided having that talk. But, right then all I wanted to do was have that talk.
I didn't take enough pictures.
I didn't make videos with her.

I wanted to know about her parents, about her childhood, what it was like with her siblings. Yes, I had a lot of time to do that, but I didn't because I thought I had more time. 
Now, I'm out of time, I can't do all of those things with her anymore.
I sat beside where her body was laid, staring at her lifeless body. 
I held her hand, but she wouldn't squeeze mine.
I shook her body, but she wouldn't open her eyes.
I called her "grandma", but she wouldn't respond.
She couldn't... She was gone.

I sat there fighting the tears and guilt that tried to envelope me
Now, even in death, grandma taught me an important lesson. When I remember a family or friend, I make the call or send a message.
You should too.

One little upside was that I got to see all the uncles and aunts I rarely see or haven't seen 10 years or more.

It was a special night, when grandma passed away.




   
...let's cover her up






Even though it's important that when I remember my family and friends, I pray for them, but much more than that, I place a call to them, I go to see them if I can, and I set a time aside to actually check on them






-------------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...

No comments: