Saturday, December 14, 2019

Why Saturdays used to be a no-no for my birthdays

[5 min read]




Why I didn't like my birthday on a Saturday

It doesn't matter what/how you feel about this for this is the girl I used to be, not the lady that I now am.

A few years ago, my aunt was getting married, a joyous occasion it was, everyone was happy, everyone, except me. I wasn't angry she was getting married, I was, in fact very happy for her. What I wasn't happy about however was her choice of date. 


I didn't realize how unhappy I was going to be about this until the day of the wedding because you see, that beloved day was my birthday, and no one paid me any attention.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a child who craved unnecessary attention. There were very few days in a year when I'd want the attention to be on me, my birthday, was one of those days and I didn't care if the world forgot, as long as my immediate family remembered, I was satisfied.

I must have curled under the table and cried that day as my mother hurried past me while I tried to remind her it was my day.

Shortly after that, I think I had a general dislike for anyone with anything to do on my birthday. I ignored the people I knew shared birthdays with me and pretended people who had my name didn't exist. It was worse with Saturdays, because there are always a lot of events.

I don't know exactly when and how it happened but, it did, I grew up. I now understand, that regardless of how many events are celebrated on my day, as long as I'm content and happy and doing what counts, it doesn't matter, even if other people don't remember. As long as I remember and I celebrate myself, that's what counts.

And it doesn't even matter, it's not that day that counts, it's every day that counts, the memories I make with myself and everyone I'm opportuned to meet

So, in essence happy birthday to me.


-------------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
3. If You Have Grandparents

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, happy birthday to you
Thank you for all the write ups you made this year, I couldn't keep up with all of it but thank you all the same. This year is better than the last and you release more articles for us to gobble up. Happy birthday again❤

Unknown said...

Nice write up, this reminds me of how my birthday use to be also years ago, I have always been celebrating it far from my family until recently that I got to have a change in that

Happy Birthday to you, May God continue to shower his grace on you, May our next birthday be celebrated in a greater and happier state
HBD OLUWATOSMILE

Hephzibah said...

Happy birthday sis

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

Hiiiii

Thank you sooooo much💟💟

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

I'm thankful for your change

Thank you so much💟💟

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

Thank you so much Hephzibah💟💟

I'm very grateful