Friday, June 19, 2015

Movie Love


I hate romance movies.

I used to be more or less apathetic towards the genre and it’s relations and concepts but lately they just annoy me. A lot now. The fact that a movie will show a story of people being/falling in love within 2 hours is deceitful. Frightfully so.

It’s like showing a football match of Manchester United vs Chelsea within a 2 minute video.

I have a very active imagination, if I do say so myself – and it’s very much influenced by the things I watch, see, hear and know – as is everyone’s imagination I’m sure. I grew up reading a lot of novels and books when I was much younger, some of which in my house were my elder sisters books, which - for the most part, were romance novels and the like. So more or less, I grew up believing that love and romance were just around the corner – just waiting to find you, and not you; it.

Needless to say, I’ve more or less seen that life doesn’t really work out that way. Maybe if you’re a girl it might, but with the quality of boys/men we have these days- I’m really starting to doubt that. Most boys/men seem to be interested in the “score your goal and victory” concept. Get the thing done and leave. I won’t be particularly elaborating on that topic right now – as interesting as it is shaa. Nevertheless, you know how in romance movies, two people just randomly or miraculously happen to meet by chance, like at a baseball park, at a shopping mall, in school hallway, on a sinking metal boat or heck even at the persons’ wedding even.

Felt like magic when you watched it happen didn’t it? You wanted your very own version of romance.



Well.

 Tough news for you. Don’t expect magic oo. Yes – it actually CAN happen. In the best of cases - it usually does.(Some people would really prefer to call it a miracle, but it's all good either way; po-tay-to, po-tah-to) But it IS rather unlikely that love and romance will come falling out of the sky and land on you like a raindrop out of the air or a . That’s the problem I have with these movies. They show a love story in an hour or two and end up giving you a false sense of reality. There’s nothing of the struggles, the insecurity, the courage building or social impact that you will feel in the depths of your heart...

Listen. I’m not saying that romance movies are useless and you should never EVER watch them. I actually know a few romance movies (okay, mixed genre actually – why would I watch a purely romance oriented movie, I have things to do yknow) that are very nice, have amazing characters, plot-lines and emotion. My problem isn’t with the movies themselves, inherently, but rather the effect they give to people. Everyone now thinks that falling in love is like 1, 2, 3.

I realize, of course, this could just be my own biased opinion, so I’ll leave a lot of room for discussion, correction and change. This is more or less a rant anyways – so it’s obviously more than a little subjective in statement. A lot of people, especially females (no, I’m not gender biased please) seem to fall very easily for the enchantment and “promise” of love. Within a day or so you’ve magically “fallen in love” – when the guy is probably just playing the current match, planning on a few more before he “retires”. A lot of people don’t understand what LOVE  really is, what it’s about, how it’s meant to last or where it’s meant to come from. They just go around falling in love every 2 or 3 months with 2 or 3 different people. There’s no continuity. There’s no concept of forever.

Someone (or some people) said that Love is a "chemical reaction", and though they were referring more or less specifically to dopamine - I'll be putting my own take on it. Those of you who have at least done basic science would be able to recall that there are many types of chemical reactions, and they can usually take at least three time frames to occur;
  • They can occur instantaneously
  • They can be spontaneous and occur at any moment - without any prior noticeable cause.
  • They can take tens or hundreds of years, and even more than that, to occur.
Love is just like that. Not always a 30min interaction that makes someone want to sacrifice their entire life for you. Another problems is the fact that the idea of Love these says also seems to be almost conjugated with the concept of sexual intercourse (sounds bland and formal when i say i like that right? LOL). The physical form of intimacy which many people confuse what love and it's culmination are REALLY about. Forget the physics part till you understand the right formulas first. Love needs chemistry ;)


I think there should be definitive layout or outline, or something, to help people get a firm reality check on these things. With the way movies are going these days, it won’t be far too long before our society is adopting, more or less, 50 shades of love.

(Please do forgive all of the very weird football references up there in the beginning and afterwards. I couldn’t really come up with better lines, then, as I was writing)

Let's be awesome in the movie of our lives..
Love, Stars and Jam


---------------------
Did you like this article? You can read awesome others like...
1. The Meaning of Life
2. I, Difference
3. There was a time

2 comments:

guess who? said...

someone seems angry in this article. I actually agree with you ๐Ÿ˜€

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

Lol.
Abeg gimme a clue๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚