Monday, February 5, 2018

Life Stories 1

[ 2+ min read]


Dear TRJ,

I have a story for you. I remember when I was much younger. In SS1 or SS2.

I had a friend named Michelle. I don't use that word friend easily here. We were like cat and dog, it was a struggle to be in the same room and not glare daggers at one another.

I don't know why. She was a pretty calm person.

So anyway, she had a younger brother named Philip, who was pretty cool. The thing is, I had a friend named Nnamdi who was infatuated with Michelle. It was a bonafide struggle for him to get close to her.

So one day, he asked me to accompany him to her house. I, being the kind of person that doesn't have a chance to go anywhere because of parents who keep me indoors to do nothing but study, was excited.

I don't even know how exactly she agreed for him go come over, it wasn't my business. I liked going out to see other people's homes. I had that great spark of curiosity in me.

I could meet Philip and checkout some games he had, and maybe get some. I would take my own as well.

On getting there, he talked to her - you know, with that ever permanent blush decorating his cheeks, I chatted with Philip on games and cool stuff.

All of a sudden, Nnamdi got a call and had to leave. He said he would be "right back". Philip also had to leave for some reason or the other. So there I was, stuck with Michelle, who I had probably never had much of a conversation with.

We tried talking. It was a bit awkward, but hey, it was something.

Then, like a nigerian film the plot thickened. Her father had come back home. I won't bore you with tales I've heard about how incredibly strict the father is, but let's just say that if he wrote JAMB on strictness, he would win a scholarship.

So she was visibly distressed, not wanting to go through the torment of being accused of bringing a boy to her father's house without permission, and having ulterior motives for it. Thinking back now, that might have actually been  paranoia.

So she told me that I needed to hide.

I was confused. Hide wetin? Why? I didn't come here to see you na. I'll just tell your dad I came here to see your brother.

She asked me,
Okay, where is Philip?
- Not here

"Where did he go to?"
"I don't know", I said.

"When is he coming back?"
"I don't know"

She stared at me.
I stared back.

Suddenly hiding seemed like a good idea.

She told me to go hide in the wardrobe, and that once he enters his room, she'll come for me and help me get out and leave.

I hid.
The father came in like half a minute after, and then a sudden thought struck me.

What if this man opened the wardrobe, and saw me hiding there? What logical explanation on this planet earth could I possibly give, that would turn such situation around?

What have I done?, I asked myself.

Brothers and sisters. I trembled.
I was asking why the good lord would let me be in such a situation.

All the possible consequences started flying through my head. He would call the police. Or my father. Or both.

What would I tell them?
He could tell the teachers in my school.

He could decide to flog me.

Was this how my reputation as a good boy would die? Because of Nnamdis love?

As God would have it, the father entered his room soon and Michelle came to get me out. I picked my sneakers from where they were hidden and ran out. Wore them, and disappeared.

I promised never to go back to that house.
That embarassment was too much.


- Please keep me anonymous

2 comments:

Idowu Mary said...

I can't even imagine how you would have felt. Chai! If they had caught you inside the wardrobe there was no way you would explain yourself.

Ujevbiruvbe Ese-oghene said...

This was great😀. You managed to keep me in suspense.So this actually happens to people😂