Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Winning a lose-lose situation

[5 min read]

My dearest people, if it isn't too late to tell you Happy New Year, then, let me quickly add that this is your best year yet.

Please accept my apologies for writing to you this late into the month. See when 2018 was coming to a close, I pondered on what to serve my awesome readers at the start of the new year ,but I surprisingly came up with nothing. And when at the beginning of this year, I gave it more thought, all I came up with were the clichΓ©s of telling you how to spend your year.

I knew it was getting serious.





I discarded the thought for as many times as it came knocking. January is, much to everyone's surprise moving at the speed of other months, and when the thought of what to write began to haunt me, I decided to consult my mother.

You see, here at TRJ, we strive to give nothing but our best.

My mother came up with ideas, but as amazing as they were, they didn't feel right. After a prolonged silence in the room with her, I temporarily forgot about it. I remembered the recent song Falz sang-Talk and a connecting tweet I saw the previous day and was telling mum about it. "Fela talked against Buhari's administration. 34 years later, Falz is talking against this same Buhari's administration. Different artistes, different time, the same man, 34 years interval."

So, while discussing it with my mum, a bulb lit up in my head, and I knew, this is what I want to talk about.



So, let's talk. Please, what happened? Where did we miss it? Someone said it's as if we're under a collective curse, knowing and seeing what is good for us, but going for that which will not benefit us.

Answer this question, apart from Buhari and Atiku, who else do you know is running? You should know at least 2 more people. And apart from PDP and APC, what other parties do you know have Presidential candidates?

In the words of Banky W, when you're faced with a lose-lose situation, you don't pick the lesser of two evils. You don't pick a side, you change the situation. (BTW, if you're from Eti-Osa constituency or you know someone from there and you don't vote this man or spread the news so others may vote him, wetin you gain?) 

The way you change this situation is to find out about the other Presidential candidates, know about them and let the reason why you'll be voting one be valid. Let it be a reason that can convince another person. It's about time we develop interest in Nigeria. Stop bidding your time until you get out. Stop treating Nigeria like a prison you can't wait to get out of either legally or illegally.

Finally, it doesn't matter if you are the only one you know voting for the candidate of your choice (I'm saying this because I assume you would be making a well-informed decision). Don't see it as a wasted vote, because it isn't. Don't be pressured into voting for someone you don't believe in because everyone is doing it. It doesn't matter if you're the only one doing what you're doing. As long as you know you're doing the right thing, it is enough.

I have more things to write, but I fear you'll get tired of reading. So, I am pausing here because I have a glimmer of hope that I've been able to convince you that this fight for a better Nigeria doesn't lie in choosing between Buhari and Atiku. For the love of the coming generation, and for the desire to live in a working system. Take a stand now. Please.

-------------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...

8 comments:

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

Powerful stuff. πŸ‘πŸ‘
I'm sure Olumide would love this 😁😁

Olumide said...

Excellent piece of writing!

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh
My senior colleague think it excellent πŸ™‡πŸ™‡

Unknown said...

We can never over emphasize the fat that picking a choice from two evils is illogical and a precursor to our democracy as a nation b in threatened. I will vote for another candidate not those two. I have a chance to change Nigeria and I will do my part.

Thanks for the piece.

Unknown said...

πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ
I may not agree with all you wrote, but you have a good point... And that is making an informed decision and not just following the bandwagon.

What happens when your informed decision leads you back to one of these two?
Or in your opinion, it can never be logical to vote for any of these two?

Unknown said...

hmmmm
Nice write up

first time to read an article here and dis will actually make me a reader of dis blog


but seriously..."when you're faced with a lose-lose situation, you don't pick the lesser of two evils. You don't pick a side, you change the situation. (BTW, if you're from Eti-Osa constituency or you know someone from there and you don't vote this man or spread the news so others may vote him, wetin you gain?) "

so in dis lose-lose situation whr I dnt want to Vote for the lesser of two evils who did u know or who are u going to convinced me to vote for in dis situation, let it be known and let me make my finidings abt him/her so w can be able to answer dis ( wetn you gain? )

Uche Vera said...

WORD! ✊🏾✊🏾✊🏾

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

Thank you.
It is not impossible for some people's informed decision to lead them to either of the two. And should that happen, it is okay. If your reasons are logical and three years down the lane, you have no regrets, then you made the right choice