Thursday, May 4, 2017

Stereotype Much?



When you are an Ijebu, man and your friends always make fun of your stingy nature, does it bother you? When ‘Oyinbos’ think that you come from a country where gorillas and bears walk around freely, and you live in thatched houses - even in this 21st century, how do you feel? …Angry? Hurt? Upset?

Every day, we face people who categorize us and make assumptions based on tribe, race, appearance, religion, amongst others. These are stereotypes, and we unfortunately live, today, in a society that overindulges in them.

Stereotyping is a phenomenon that occurs few and far between in every individual's existence. It comes in diversities and could be over the most random things; eating, dressing, diction, appearance et al. It is a widely held, and conventional, image of a person or groups of persons that can be oversimplified.

Truth be told? Everyone has, at some point, stereotyped others and at the same time has been a victim. The fact that a stereotype is a general belief doesn't mean the ideas behind it are always right, or that it reflects reality. But enough of the social psychology, I’d like to share with you my own experiences.



As a light skinned girl on low cut hair (which I have no problems with), I am often considered to be Igbo by those who don't know my roots. This is probably because most Igbo girls are light skinned (Just do a google image search on "igbo girls" sef). I was on a bus one day and a group of girls from a state university were talking, in Yoruba language, about my appearance. One of them went as far as talking about how I was probably a snob because I kept to myself for most of the journey.

I understood all they had said but didn't react. Not long after, I received a call from my parents regarding my location. The girls in the bus were quite shocked to the bone when they heard me conversing with my mother in Yorubalanguage. Knowing fully well that they had messed up earlier, they started apologizing after I told them I was ‘omo Yoruba’ but well… What can sorry do?

Let’s take another example. During a visit to a place a few weeks back, upon learning about the school I attend(ABUAD), everyone started projecting a strange attitude! They kept assuming that I couldn’t do basic stuffs, that I couldn't handle certain situations, and that I was antisocial. Some even asked if I know how to cook, if I do my laundry, and if I even eat local foods. On my first evening, at the cafeteria, one of them jokingly told me that I'd probably have to manage whatever they had because they don't sell sharwarma.

Throughout my stay, everything I did – actions, appearance, talk - was always under the stereotypical scrutiny. I tried to make them understand that although I school at Afe Babalola University, there are some basic things I do and that the 'rich kids' stereotype isn't always true; …but all my efforts were as much use as a “chocolate fireguard”.


(click to view larger image)
Looking at the concept of stereotypes, they reflect expectations and beliefs about the characteristics of members of groups perceived as different from one's own. They usually arise after the study of the behavioral patterns of a group of people with a common social background.

At the same time, stereotypes are also used in justification of actions within an “in-group” when compared to an “out-group”; this happens usually within the intertribal groups in the country like where a Yoruba person tries to feel superior to an Igbo person because of the 'unhealthy love of money' stereotype that is characterized to them. Think of the popular and mind-boggling Yoruba ‘juju’ stereotype also.

A stereotype can hurt, especially when it isn’t true. A stereotype presages discrimination when it is used as a justification for ill-founded prejudices or ignorance. A stereotype prevents people of stereotyped groups from entering or succeeding in activities or fields. Imagine applying for a job with a Christian owned organization and getting rejected because you are a Muslim. It can be wrong and can sometimes be borne out of low self-esteem about or towards a social group.

So why stereotype? We all have flaws! We all have bad hair days and sometimes, these stereotypes are used to hide our jealousy towards other individuals. Wait self… who stereotype epp? Why don't we all focus on getting better, and creating the utopian world that we all crave?

Understand the person you stereotype. Imagine how you would feel when you were stereotyped; if people limited you with their opinions just because they felt inferior or superior to you…



Question assumptions… FIGHT STEREOTYPES!



By Mary Idowu

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful write up Mary πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Dami said...


wow! so true! people stereotype dressing, religion and family background or tribe. it can hurt even to the extent of suicide when its severe. nice piece Mary. Jamike bring her back please, we want more

Anonymous said...

Really nice write-up, well penned,focusing on real life issues with personal experience. You go girl!!!πŸ™†πŸ™†

Idowu Mary said...

Aww anonymous 10:07 and 11:22 thanks guys...and Dami, Mary isn't going anywhere.

damilola said...

Wonderful write up I'm proud of u babe

Damilola Idowu said...

yeah stereotype really makes people fell bad and often leads to depression and low self esteem...... good and interesting article.U rock babe keep up d good work.

Mokwenyei davies said...

Wow.u killed it Mary. Real Life issues especially the religion aspect and how it affects almost everything not just in job seeking . people need to read this.

Idowu Mary said...

@damilola yes! Stereotype can lead to low self esteem especially when people around u bring u down constantly with their ill based assumptions. And Davies! Yh stereotype affects everything. Thanks people will read it when u share with them, so please share!

Unknown said...

This is so so true...it can lead to violence and other things if it didn't go down well on the recipients...so let us shun stereotype...

IBK said...

It's a great article you have here. One doesn't find articles as articulate and down-to-earth as this everyday. Quite unique too. Keep it up, Miss.

I_AM_Chidi said...

This was just perfect

Anonymous said...

Nice work πŸ‘Œ.

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

This is so apt and very much needed. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ thank you Mary πŸ’“πŸ’“

Anonymous said...

Very nice write up

Anonymous said...

Very nice write up