Thursday, May 18, 2017

Power!


Two men
One intimidated by the lady in her
The other, unsatisfied with it
Both actually fail to recognize one thing -
The powers that be
Which she possesses.


When I was younger, my father always told me never to be a liability. He always said, “Mary! You have all it takes to be all you want.” As I grew up, I realized that all he told me was true. All I needed to be comfortable, is within me. 

Now, I am spurred to write about my opinion on feminism. I won't bore you with the definitions of feminism and its ideologies. Neither will I thump my nose at the good work that the women rights activists are doing.



As a Nigerian child with a Nigerian mother, I can say I have tasted the strength a woman possesses. From the sleepless nights I gave her as a child, to the years of teenage foolishness, my Nigerian mother never ceased to do the needful.

As I mark a milestone in my life, all I dare say - is that our mothers are the REAL feminists. As Margaret Thatcher said, “If you want something said, ask a man. If you want something done, ask a woman”. I have learnt from my mother, that a real feminist is that woman who knows her role in the society and does it so well, that a man cannot measure up to it. I have also learnt that a feminist is a mother to her children constantly, a wife to her husband at all times, a friend and even an icon.

Although it is often said that a man is the head of the family, I am sure that this head won't stand in the absence of the neck. The woman is the neck!

I have learnt from my parents to be comfortable with being a female. I have learnt to harness the powers that I possess. They have taught me that it takes a woman and a man to create peace, happiness and perfection. They have taught me that I do not need a man's encouragement to feel important, that I do not need to dress 'skimpily' to feel beautiful, and that simplicity is sophistication. I have learnt from them that I am a woman, that I am human, and so - I am entitled to own my choices and opinions.



A woman is not just a physically mature female. She has a definition. She has divinely prescribed dimensions. Most females die as females, never obtaining the title of woman. A woman is wise and passes her wisdom to those closest to her. A woman relishes in the majesty of her natural being and would never dare to give that to another, as uttered by a prophet named Isaiah.  [See: Womanism and the Errors of Feminism by Chika Oduah]

A woman finds freedom in her courage and valor, never limiting herself to gratifying her every desire. She understands the fineness of discipline, because it is only a harnessed horse that reaches the target - a loose horse misses it every time. A woman has a vision, and a vision will not perish. A woman finds joy in her responsibilities instead of running away from them. A woman uplifts other women; never scorning them, nor betraying them, nor cursing them. Rather, she cherishes them as though they were her sisters.


This is my goal and ambition as I become a CERTIFIED adult today!



By Mary Idowu

---------------------
Did you like this article? You can read awesome others like...

5 comments:

Friend_from_afar said...

THIS.IS. POWERFUL.

You go girl!!

Esan Janet said...

Such a wonderful, enlightening and refreshing take on feminism and womanhood. I tell you this makes me even prouder to be a woman. This allows me the knowledge that I'm a driving force.
I hand it to you Mary this is inspired πŸ™ŒπŸ½
God bless your new yearπŸ‘‘

Anonymous said...

This write-up hit the mark, really nice and enlightening, WORD for today. Proud to be a woman!!!.

Anonymous said...

This write-up hit the mark, really nice and enlightening, WORD for today. Proud to be a woman!!!.

Anonymous said...

Well spoken✊