Monday, May 14, 2018

Give Me Some Accolades. Please. Abeg.

 [4min Read]




There's this thing that I've noticed about blog readers.
A lot of people don't really comment - and by a lot, I mean 98% of people.
....

Okay, I must confess...
I'm twisting the figure. It's actually more like 99.9999%
I don't know why that is but I've come up with a few theories. Most revolving around the fact that people don't know how important comments are.

They would rather think in their mind;

"Oh that's a cool post", then proceed to close the browser. Or they'll turn to their roommate/spouse/friend and tell them "this is really very interesting". Some people will even send you the comment on Whatsapp or BBM or Google plus.

"Nice post" 
"That's a really cool article" 
"I love the way you write" 

Amongst many other postitive reviews.

I think it's great that there are so many different reactions to our posts on the TRJ since it reminds me how I feel when I read other cool things online. But for me, sometimes the most interesting thing on most blogs I visit are the comments I read. They let me know how others interpret the same thing I read, sometimes I even gain new understanding from them, seeing new viewpoints on opposing views, and new dimensions on my own views that I hadn't considered.



Apart from that extreme importance, it actually helps encourage others to open an article and check it out. If you see an article that has 18 comments, and that has 4 comments and an article that has none at all - let's be honest, which ones would you assume must be more interesting. Which one would you check out first? It even helps encourage others to comment as well. It becomes a normal practice as we develop a culture of it.

As a writer, if no-one is commenting on my articles I start to wonder if maybe I've written rubbish. Something so insignificant that people couldn't even be bothered to tell me what they think of my views/writing. It's a feeling that tugs at your heartstrings and keeps you awake at night. Wondering if your existence is making any difference at all in the world.  No matter how many views there are, if there are no comments it seems that the article simply had no heart and that the readers hadn't felt it at all. If there are less views, but more comments you at least think that the only problem is that not enough people have seen it, so you work on publicity. But 10,000 views and no comments? Now THAT'S something to be worried about.

Feedback is very important - and it's something we all need to do more of. How else will we develop? if we aren't sure of what we're doing right or wrong, and then what we can do better.

It's something I really want others to gain here. Really. Your ten second message may seem insignificant to you - but it may mean the world, to another reader that's just dying to find a mind like yours, or even a writer who's anxious to discover if his/her writing is actually impacting peoples lives how they wish.

Seriously! Help him/her live. Feed them with your brilliant mental nourishment of star-shuddering opinions. The universe wants to hear you. Do not keep your powers of observation hidden inside. They are some of the best superpowers of all - I can assure you. Even if you don't know what to say, something like "Nice article/post" etc can make a difference. Especially for the comment count.

And, don't stop on my blog either.

When was the last time you ever commented on any post anywhere? Instagram? Facebook? Whatsapp status? Are you denying a reader, or writer, somewhere in the world a spectacular learning experience? Wait sef.... have you ever even commented before? In this beautiful life of yours?  Ahhh. I have caught you. Let's fix this, shall we?

Don't get me wrong. This isn't me crying out for more comments. This is me looking out for a more interactive society. Because I wonder....How will we interact and grow, if we do not talk to one another? It's a new age now. We are responsible for ourselves, and even each other. (Even when we so often, and so strongly tell ourselves the opposite.)

Let's comment.
Change someones' world today. You'll be surprised how empowering it truly is. For them. For you. For a better world.


Let's Be Legendary
Love, Stars, and that comment that makes a writer cry

-------------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
1. Unpopular Opinion: IDGAF
2. The Glory Of Heartbreak
3. How to Dodge A Shot

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word...I'm gonna repent by God's grace🙏😁

Uche Vera said...

truly y'all at TRJ deserve accolades.....
tbh tho I'm actually one of the few people that would read those articles with no comment,u know just wondering why it has none and most of them end up being soo interesting and to those posts or articles with many many comments I'm like "someone has probably commented what I would've commented" if not then I don't mind adding mine (that's after reading the comments shaa...I enjoy reading comments) some comments are actually more deep,interesting or funny than the post or article itself.

Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each
time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.

Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
Bless you!