Sunday, September 2, 2018

Being a BUT

[4 min read]



In a world where things literally have gone upside down, being true to who you are and letting the world know is a risky risk

I know the world is messed up, and finding good people is like taking the ring to Mount Doom in Mordor 😎. There are, however, good people. You may have met some, you may be one. I bet you've even met some in unexpected places right? Well, I am one of the good ones (😭😭😭is someone doubting me??) and boy, have I had issues with other good people-good people with bad experiences. Really bad experiences.


So, I've been told the following:
-You are too simple (not in a good way) life isn't this way
-No one is like this anymore, you'll get in trouble if you keep being this way
-You are too trusting (okay, this is true, I can be tooooooo trusting)
-Eh! If you keep acting this way to people, you'll get cheated in life

And so much more. But guess what? I don't care! Yeah, you read that right. (okay, maybe I care a little bit, but I'd like to believe you know what I mean)

Truth is, I've met people who have taken advantage of me.  But did I let that deter me? 

Absolutely not, because I've met more people who have benefited from me being good; and not just that, but have become better just because someone can, in this corrupt system, be good to them. You know... Better still, I've been moved to tears, sometimes, by how good people are to me. Gosh! How refreshing it always is.

So, at the end of the day, the merits of being good far outweighs the demerits. And don't get me started on how healthy it is. There's a feeling you get when you're able to make someone smile (can I get a witness pleeeaaasseeee???).

However, I am not a good person because I want people to speak well of me, or because of the many advantages (they are the side dishes). Amongst many reasons, I am a good person and I let the world know because the only crime the world committed was hosting human beings. 

So, I want the world to able to say "I know I've been made corrupt but there are some exceptions, I've still got some good people in me (that sounds cheesyπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚). But come on, we've got generations coming up-lets leave lasting legacies for them while we can.

Anyways, it's a new month, why not spice up your life with some goodness. So, decide, this day, to be good and let the world know.

-------------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
1. DEFEATED NOT - FINAL EPISODE

9 comments:

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

This article is really great. I relate with the things here so vividly.

Everybody keeps telling us that being kind and fair will get you cheated in life. And while I think it's good to be strong and clever, we shouldn't kill off the humanity inside us.

It's rare to see a push towards the softer side of life.

Thank you. πŸ˜ŠπŸ€—πŸ€—

The Ritz said...

Alright, I don't really get this article and I think "being good" is overrated. There's actually no bad bad person out there and there's always a good side to everyone. we just need to push harder to get there.

One more thing, we can't keep telling ourselves that we are "good",nobody is good. in as much as sometimes we do good, sometimes we do bad too.

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

You're welcome πŸ€—πŸ€—

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

Thank you Joan☺
But try to believe me when I say "being good" is so not overrated. And there are bad bad people out there, do they have a good side? Yes, maybe.
Do we call ourselves bad then because sometimes we do good and sometimes we do bad? or do we stop trying to be good because no matter what we do, it's in our nature to be bad?

One more thing, we become what we say, so if we're trying to be good but keep saying "nobody is good, I am not good, I can't be good, look at all the bad things I've done" then we will never be good.
So, in as much as we sometimes do bad, telling ourselves we can be or are good, leaves a mark in our subconscious and the effect will, without doubt be seen in our relation with people.

Unknown said...

Nice write-up, Tosinmile, I choose to be good.

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

Hey Joan. The thing is, we're noy saying 'good' as in perfect people. I think the writer is talking about altruism.

Many times we are told to be hard and uncaring, that it will make sure we aren't cheated or used. That being well-meaning is bad because people will takr advantage of you.

There's more support for harsh characters in the world we live in (Nigeria for example) than there is for kindness.

They tell you to be kind, but not too much. To help others, but help yourself first. To be brash to get your way, because being mild-mannered will cause you to get stepped on.

The writer is doing the opposite of all these things that society and the majority of it's people have been grounding into us for years.

Telling us it's okay to love others as much as you love yourself.

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

That's great. Thank you Cheta😊

Uche Vera said...

Great article.....Good all the way πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ