Monday, September 3, 2018

Unpopular Opinion - The Rule of Laughter

[4min Read]

Today I opened up my WhatsApp status and saw the same thing on almost 20 different statuses. Color blocking combinations by 100L students of ABUAD.

For those not aware - in my university, students are mandated to wear specific colors that represent their colleges. Green for engineering, White & Black for Law, Blue for social management sciences etc etc.

Now, you have to realize. Not all individuals are blessed with understanding on fashion, color matching and the art of LOOKING GOOD. Take me for example. I wore a school uniform for 6 years of my life, and didn't really have to worry about cool outfits since I didn't go anywhere outside school, church and a few occasions my parents would make me attend.


When I got into 100L I was a corporate mess. Wearing baggy jeans, huge trousers, simple unimpressive clothing. I had a few ridiculous combinations too, like the time I wore cream and white with a red tie, thinking it looked cool. (By the way, you're probably imagining it worse than it was - yeah, that's right, I know how you people work) I honestly didn't particularly care too much about looking cool, mostly because I apparently didn't know how to, and I didn't know the importance of that aspect of presentation.

Looking at me now, I dress very differently than I did years ago. I style my hair adequately - not just low cut left and right. I shape my shirts to fit me appropriately, not just "wear as e be" after buying. I choose shoes, belts and accessories specifically to compliment the clothes I have. I don't hunch over like I used to. I hold my head up. I walk confident.

If you knew me in 100L, you can attest to the fact that it was like I didn't really know what I was doing most of the time, and just got lucky with my dressing a lot.

Today, I saw pictures of two particular students in 100L that didn't dress nicely. And it's now all over social media. Whatsapp statuses, maybe even Instagram, Twitter and who knows where else. And the only constant thing I'm seeing there is insults and laughter.

Honestly. I didn't find it funny at all. I was disgusted by a lot of comments. Some of them by my own friend and acquaintances. It disappointed me that so many people found this enjoyable. People must think this is something valuable to share with the world.... Damn.

In what way are any of you helping the poor kids who dressed that way? Those kids, if they saw all the comments and things that people are saying, could come down with depression. People have killed themselves for less. And if such a thing happened, we'd insult them further for being weak-willed and lily-livered. People would make jokes out of it. Nairaland would make it a premiere topic. Newspapers would make it the headline of the day.

"Boy kills self, after dressing like a fool".

Still funny?
Ha ha.

As someone who has gone through a lot of bullying, misunderstanding, abuse and depression, it's disappointing to see that we still celebrate the art of attacking people in this day and age. It now becomes a competition on who can write the most scathing and painful caption. Apparently we all need a victim just to get our laughs. Way to go, society.

The most appropriate thing that those boys needed was someone to walk up to them and advise them on why they shouldn't be wearing those combos, explain to them why, give them tips on how to dress better, and help them realize the fact that people are laughing at them - and how to deal with it.

But do you know what I saw? People taking pictures from afar, and putting up on social media so that others would laugh at them. Like, really. What does that action objectively say about your character? Yeah, I know you have a cool comeback/reply to that. 'I don't know what's up'. Or 'I'm pained'. Or something far more 'hilarious' and scathing that will get more people laughing.

This stuff is always funny initially, till the day you're the one under the red light - or a beloved family member or close friend. And all the world finds exquisite joy in your misery. Suddenly, it's no longer fair that people are laughing. It's no longer funny. You vex at anyone who laughs or tries to laugh. 'How dare they?'

I've been saying it incessantly that the problem with the world, is the people who live in it. It's shocking how much we say we admire heroes, when all we do is act like the villains. We obey the false rule of laughter.

'It's always funny when it isn't you.'


Thanks for coming to the right place for common sense.
Love. Stars. and no more bullying.

-------------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
1. When They Don't Love You Back
2. Respect - Worldwide
3. The Surprise Test!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

It really is sad to see something like this though

Steady said...

I agree with this article so much.
This blog gets better and better by the day!!

Thank you for this. I'm definitely going to share this article out!

Unknown said...

πŸ‘

derhyor said...

As an ABUAD student I wont lie I've laughed in the past. But this semester I had the opportunity of reading the slip new students are given for requirements on dress code. It turns at the school is at fault for giving out unclear info. Being a fresher means you want to follow rules to the T

Lydia Ogualiri said...

This is is definitely true...makes senseπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

Thank you 'Derhyor' ☺

That's the thing about reality. New information can change everything about the way you think. You start to understand things more, and see from more perspectives.

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

I know right?
That's why I had to speak out this time. We have enough abuse in our lives.

Let's try understanding people for once.

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

Thank you Stephanie 😊😊

Jamike Ekennia-Ebeh said...

Thank you Kvome πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ˜Š

De Klerk said...

Dear Jamike..words cannot truly express how amazing and realistic your thoughts are on the issue of treating people well and being understanding about their predicaments... Lots of times we tend to trifle with the feelings of others because we aren't the one being booed or bullied.. how so mean and disrespectful. You rightly have explained the true touch of caring for others...and I hope many do learn from this article. my warmest regards.