Monday, November 13, 2017

Bad Addiction - 1



I was 16 when I first smoked marijuana in high school. Amid the highness, all my family problems, personal anxiety and insecurities disappeared. It made me feel very good and it pretty much numbed all the pain I was feeling. 

Like many teenage addicts, my road to drug dependence started with smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol socially. Until a friend convinced me to smoke weed, but I became unsatisfied with the highness, so I started drinking large doses of cough syrup. Now, I have become a dangerous addict and the once heavenly feeling has become hell to me... 


The story you just read is a true life story of an addicted youth and his struggle with the devil's snare, aka addiction.


What is addiction? 

Addiction! This is defined as a chronic relapsing brain disease that is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences. It is considered a brain disease because drugs affect the brain's structure and how it works.



If addiction was a dog, what would be its gender? A female of course! Addiction is a female dog. (I know you grab what I mean)

One funny thing about this bitch called addiction is that it doesn't give you a sign. There's no warning signal, no yellow card. It doesn't come knocking at your door telling you, "Hey love, you're about to get screwed ".  Maybe it does, but you'd probably be too busy chilling out with euphoria. You wake up one morning and suddenly get tired of "feeling high" and just as you try to switch over to the low key mode, all you are able to see in front of you are the red lights screaming DANGER. Then it dawns on you that you've been wasted, and that there's no going back. (maybe there is, but I'll write about that some other time). So you're left with no other choice but to keep feeling high until you find yourself​ in rehab.

This is not something we are all ignorant about. I mean, it has become a social stereotype. "Almost every male youth (females are coming up) in our higher institutions today, smokes weed or takes codeine. This probably isn't the truth, but that's what makes it a stereotype.


I went to visit a friend a couple of days back and just as I walked into her dorm, I couldn't help but perceive the choking smell of marijuana coming from almost all angles of the room.

Then I asked myself; why do people take drugs? 

To feel good;  Most abused drugs produce intense feelings of pleasure. This initial euphoric feeling is followed by other effect. For instance, stimulants like cocaine causes highness which in turn leads to feelings of power, self confidence and increased energy. Opiates such as heroin leads to feelings of relaxation and satisfaction.

To feel better;  people suffering from depression, social insecurities and stress-related disorders use drugs to feel better.

To do better; Most people do drugs to chemically enhance their cognitive and athletic performance.

Curiosity (or because other people are doing it); This could also be as a result of peer pressure. The feeling of not wanting to "fall hands ". I have good reason to say that this is the "Why" for most youths. When you hang out with drug abusers, what do you expect?

In as much as there are several other reasons, I'll just stop here for now.

I didn't start up this article to lecture you on drug addiction, since you might even know better. My point is, although there maybe irresistible advantages, the disadvantages are chronic and nothing compared to euphoria. More like saying, drug addiction is hell disguised as heaven. It is a mental prison. The only prison where the locks are inside. To be addicted is like to be sentenced to hell, while still breathing. What's more? It could lead to death if not handled appropriately. Well, yes everyone will die. Still you certainly don't want  to be chained like a mad dog before your death.







So, if you are already into drugs, or perhaps having thoughts of joining the drug club, you might just want to reconsider to help your life. 

PS; Be drug free and beware of bad addiction. 


---------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
1. Keeping Up
2. Catch Them Young
3. The N Word

2 comments:

Akintimehin Mayowa said...

Oh wow..Drugs actually make you feel relieved ?! 😂

The Ritz said...

Lol, don't even think of checking it out