Monday, November 13, 2017

The N Word



"My nigga!!"
"The realest nigga I know!"

Ahem* ...I'm sure you've heard "The N word" used once or twice before, if not numerous times on a daily basis.

Some people are comfortable hearing this word, while some aren't - especially from white people, because it's taken as a racial slur, due to the origin of the word, ie from the term "nigger" which is a derogatory term for africans (including African Americans etc)

Looking at the history of the word, you'd see that the word "nigga" is an attempt to rebrand the insulting term given the africans, to make it less demeaning. Like an attempt to turn chains into arm accessories. But irregardless of this, it's roots are inherently based in the enslavement of a race and an assault of the human spirit.

I personally think it doesn't matter who uses the word. It's still a slur, it doesn't matter if you change "er" to an "a".


The funny thing is, people in non-American states tend to use these words sometimes even more often than the majority of America. Trust me when I tell you that real life in the U.S. is a far cry from what is usually portrayed in movies. And what you see on most social media; Twitter especially, does not represent all the country. Just the same way there is a lot more to Nigeria than the witches and wizards portrayed in Africa magic in a lot of movies, and all the wahala seen on Linda Ikejis blog.


Most of the people that use the word worldwide are ignorant of the suffering centralized around it. Maybe they've heard the stories and seen some videos, but they've probably never lived it. When you've never been slammed down on the ground, had your teeth broken, or shot indiscriminately - all the while being called a "filthy nigga" by a police officer who thinks you're suspicious just because you have more melanin in your skin than him or her, you may never understand why people hate the word.

I lived in the US when I was younger, and I was taught that the word is not acceptable to use under any circumstances. The same as any cuss word. If you took a survey, you would find that more educated people tend to avoid using it - and I'm not talking about  college degrees, I mean educated about the history of the word. A lot of hip hop stars etc use the word, because they apparently grew up in "the ghettos" or "the streets" or some other place that apparently makes you have stronger survival instincts.

A lot of people, as usual will follow stars and do or say anything they do. Drugs, indiscriminate sex, cuss words or more. Granted, it's not all bad vices you find, but you would be dishonest to say that there are no vices promoted by them



I decided to write about this, not just because of the N word, but other words which quite a lot of us - especially in the younger generations tend to use. The F word, the B word and much much more.

If course, it's important to note that just because someone calls you "Nigga" that they mean to insult or demean you. That rarely occurs today, but it still occurs. I simply prefer not to encourage use of the word around me at all.

A few days ago, I was having a conversation with someone and the person called me the N word, to which I replied that I wasn't. I was then told that I was stuck up - all because I refused to accept the word.

Just the same way some people jokingly called their friend "Bastard", or when in a conversation, jokingly say "your father there", there are some things I simply refuse to abide by. Slang, colloquial term or otherwise.

I've made quite a lot of compromises in my life on attitudes and actions that made me comfortable, and at this point I think it's enough. There is a time in your life that you must stand up for the things you believe in, and defend them. If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

What a wonderful world it would be if we chose, not only to respect the decisions of others, but also understand them.

To get even more info on the word "nigga", you can google it yourself, or just check the two links below;


Thanks for coming
Love, Stars and better words



---------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
1. Stereotype Much?
2. 15 things every teenager needs to hear
3. Is it worth it? Being a "NICE GUY"

1 comment:

Akintimehin Mayowa said...

Nobody had better use any cuss word on me oo. I will just get mad 😂