Saturday, April 28, 2018

DEFEATED NOT - EPISODE 2


[3 min read]


I knew Mrs. Hadiza was lying when she told us months before about the economy’s recession in the country, and how it was difficult for most families to get by, and that was why the ration of food served to us reduced virtually by half and we ate more of egg - how I hated boiled egg. I hoped I would not have to eat boiled egg anymore when I got to my new home anyways. 

My suspicions were however confirmed when Miss. Bola called me aside one day after lunch. I did not know what to feel actually because whenever anyone was called aside after lunch it meant the person had done a bad thing and must read a chapter of the Bible while writing down whatever she learns from the chapter and not only that, but gets to discuss during the night devotion whatever it was she learnt, so there was no escaping it. I really did not like reading the bible, because it was complex to understand. 

Miss Bola had told us that there were other versions of the Bible, but we had to learn with the King James Version. It was like reading tongue twisters whenever I read that version and so I always tried to be on my best behavior if not for anything, but to avoid reading the Bible. So, my fears were justified when she told me to see her after lunch, some of the girls chuckled when they heard that and I must confess I lost appetite for the food, but I had to eat anyways to avoid long lectures about how food is important for my health and good for my body. 

My food did not settle and I was beginning to have stomach upset as I compelled my feet to her office. I found myself staring and actually admiring the paintings I’ve never noticed on the wall and numerous quotes as well, some from the Scriptures and others from wise people. So, at last, I found myself at her door, a shame it was wide opened or I would have lingered there for a minute or two encouraging myself to get it over with before going in.

‘Shut the door behind you’ Miss Bola said. 
I did as she asked and made my way to stand in front of her.

‘Sit down, dear’ she said. Was this how it was done, I thought to myself while doing as instructed. Do they make you comfortable before giving you the bad news? I had perfected my humble and sincere expression years ago and I knew when it was needed. That moment was one of those moments and I’d worn it before I realized.

My head was bowed but I was aware of the scribbling she made in her paper. Oh my! It was killing just sitting down there thinking about how good I’ve been and whatever I could have done to warrant the meeting.

‘How are you, Fona?’
‘I’m fine ma’. I answered in a weak voice
‘How are your friends?’

That was mean. She knew I had no friends so I just kept quiet. I asked myself if I should just start crying so I began to think of the terrible times I have had, the taunting remarks made by the girls, the number of times I’ve cried myself to sleep after watching a movie and wishing I had a mother and that did the trick my eyes were starting to swim when she suddenly stood up, smiled and pulled me to the emotional couch. I had no idea who named the couch that.

‘I want you to do something for me, Fona, can you do that?’

‘Yes, anything.'
‘Answer all my questions sincerely.'

‘Yes ma.'
‘Do you promise?’
‘Yes ma.'

‘Do you like it here?’
‘Honestly ma, I do not know, I’ve never been anywhere else but I guess I do.'



-------------------------
Did you like this article? You'll definitely like others like...
3. DEFEATED NOT - Episode 3






2 comments:

Uche Vera said...

......."Do they make you comfortable before giving you the bad news? "............
LoL

Tosinmile Ola-Amuda said...

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚